Pages

Friday, 23 December 2016

Writing Goals: 2017 Edition

Since finishing my first draft at the end of November, I've been thinking about what to do next. I have a sequel and a companion novel planned, which is weird because I've never written any kind of continuation before, but it feels right with these. Still, as much as I that was my favourite ever first draft to write, I'm not ready to jump right into another one and I doubt that's a good idea anyway.

I just finished my first draft of my very first horror story. I've always wanted to write one, and a few weeks ago I finally had the idea. It was a great little post-novel exercise. Writing something completely different (although the MC was still a lesbian ex-self-harmer, so not crazy different, I'm still me!) was kind of liberating. I found my style naturally changed slightly and I'm happy with it so far. The presses I want to submit to don't open until the Spring so I'll keep tweaking it until then.

As I started to think about my next move I realised that there's a lot I want to do in the coming year! Maybe it's because in early 2016, I was very depressed. I wasn't really able to focus on writing very well, so I didn't get very much done. I threw everything I had into getting a new job, I applied for everything possible and it finally worked out. I still can't believe how lucky I am, every day.

With that sorted, I'm ready to do the same thing again, but with writing. So I'm putting together a list of my writing goals in 2017. They include but are not limited to:
- a YA romance novel
- an NA novel
- a comedy article (or 2 if they'll have me)
- the rest of the Out of Control Trilogy
- and of course the sequel and companion novels I mentioned earlier

In some ways this list seems ambitious. I have a funny feeling I'm going to look back at the end of the year and laugh at just how much 2016 me believed I could get done. But I know that, even if it's super hard to find the energy sometimes (and they aren't all good days), if you can, and you throw yourself at everything, something will stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment