Wednesday, 7 December 2016

You Have The Right To Remain Silent

Recently I heard someone in a big group I was in at work, complaining about how anti-social people are now. It was the usual 'people these days never want to talk to each other, they just want to look at their phones all day' stuff. He'd tried to speak to someone in the room and although she'd replied, clearly the fact that she was taking five minutes during break to text with her husband was somehow offensive to him. His thinking was that, although we were all together and talking about plenty of stuff for seven hours out of the day, we shouldn't spend our short breaks on our phones, but instead talk even more.

I'm not the type to get into an argument with someone I don't know very well, in the middle of a full room. Instead, I just commented to the two people I was sitting with. I said that it has nothing to do with phones, even before smartphones, I still brought a book everywhere. If someone doesn't respond much, it's because they don't want to talk. No-one has an obligation to talk to someone else.

It was even suggested that before smartphones people would sit and think and have brilliant ideas, and now no-one does. That is some of the most pathetic, pretentious crap I've ever heard. Some of my best ideas have been inspired by things I've seen online. If anything, I'm more likely to judge someone who has to be talking to people all the time to be happy. There's nothing wrong with a bit of talking, but when someone gets annoyed because total strangers won't engage in conversation, that person isn't happy in their own company, which is a whole other problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment