Pages

Tuesday, 7 March 2017

Something Old, Something New

Since I started my new job last September, the combination of feeling a lot happier, and having more time means I've been writing a lot more. It has also prompted me to try new things, and explore new (to me) ways of doing what I do. I settled into self-publishing happily a couple of years ago now, and while I do love the freedom, I've never really given up on the idea of being traditionally published. It's what I've always wanted, I've been dreaming about it since I was little. Recently I decided to give it another try.

While researching small presses, there was one genre that kept coming up. Romance. I've always pulled away from it, and I had to ask myself why exactly that was. Looking back now, I think it's just the things I heard growing up. My Mum has always said 'I read just about everything. Except for romance or chick lit', she says it with total disdain. She was always such a big influence on my reading that it stuck.

Then I got into YA, something that I was so excited to discover, it totally invigorated my reading and then my writing. I've met a lot of people over the years who don't understand my love of YA at all, but I don't care. It taught me that it doesn't matter what other people think of what I read. Which has prepared me to make the bold move of giving Romance a try. As much as I have tried to steer clear of it in the past, it always made its way in. I didn't have it planned for 3,000 Miles of Arizona, but it was irresistible and now I can't imagine the story without the love story - it isn't possible.

Once I opened up to the possibility, I found I have a few ideas. I bought a bunch of books to get more of a feel for it, rather than just the tropes that show up everywhere. So far, I've written a novella, and now I'm working on a novel, with a couple of plans coming together too. I love it! Let's see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment