Friday, 30 June 2017

Casual Conversation

A couple of days ago I went shopping with my wife and one of our friends. I don't know whether I was listening out more to the people around us or whether it was just bad luck, but I heard a lot more negative casual comments about mental illness while we were walking around. I think maybe because I heard something that bugged me early on, I just tuned in more throughout the day. I kind of wish I hadn't.

1. While I was paying for something, the two people working there were talking about how messy their staff area was. One of them said laugh 'I just have to tidy it' more laughter 'It's my OCD' laugh laugh. 

2. Next I heard two guys talking about a video game that one of them would have made had he not quit the course. He described the main character as 'well he's a bit weird, I mean, he has mental issues'. The other guy responded like that was a specific character personality description. He then continued with how 'weird' it all would have been.

3. This one was short and sweet. Two girls were talking, one of them was talking about an annoying girl she knows, the other said 'Ugh, people like that make me want to kill myself'.

I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but this is the kind of stuff that just makes it so hard. These types of comments fuel the misconceptions and mean that we have so much more explaining to do when we need to talk about our stuff. I wish people could hear themselves the way some of us hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment